1986 trooper II with pup engine

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
ddowning97
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 trooper ii

1986 trooper II with pup engine

Post by ddowning97 »

i am the proud new owner of a 1986 2 door trooper. the previous owner has pulled out the original turbo diesel and tranny and replaced with the 2.2l diesel and 5 speed transmission. as far i can tell this is the place to get the answers about that engine. she's in rough shape and but i think with enough time and help from everyone on here i will have her running like new.
Attachments
20221026_141659.jpg
20221022_135330.jpg
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: 1986 trooper II with pup engine

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Welcome to the site. Wow, that's an '81 or '82 engine. You said the previous owner replaced the original transmission with a 5-speed. The original transmission would have been a 5-speed, so did it fail? And is the replacement transmission 4wd?

Jack
mcc
Isuzu vehicle(s): Isuzu Trooper gen.1 2.2 diesel n/a

Post by mcc »

@ Jack: so, is there a 5-speed transmission bolt-on to my original n/a C223 Trooper?

@ downing: Beside other, check the timing belt (details in the diesel section), furhtermore the oil lines to the vacuum pump assmbled at the rear of the alternator.

I´m happy to provide more details should I be able too; but there´s much more experience around.

Regards Gunter
Isuzu Trooper gen. 1, C223 diesel n/a, 4 speed
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

mcc wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:57 am
@ Jack: so, is there a 5-speed transmission bolt-on to my original n/a C223 Trooper?
Gunter,

Yes, but I have no idea what's available in your country. In the US, the Troopers were not offered with n/a diesels, and the turbo didn't come along until 1986. That's the same year that all 4wds (gas/petrol and diesel) were sold ONLY with 5-speed 4wd transmissions. So that transmission was available here from 1986 through 1987. The same transmission was also in our 4ZD1 2.3L gas/petrol Troopers, except the bell housing (front case half) was set up for the starter on the other side. Those transmissions can be used with diesels, if a the bell housing is replaced with one from a diesel transmission (even most 4-speed diesel transmissions work). I think the 5-speed transmission tail section may be a bit longer, so it may require some fabrication for the rear mount and driveshaft length.

Jack
ddowning97
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 trooper ii

Post by ddowning97 »

the transmission in it now is a 2wd. not sure why they swapped the engine or transmission. would like to find a 4wd to put back in it eventually. right now i daily drive drive this trooper and while shes no speed demon it seems to run and drive well enough.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I suspect the original turbo engine threw a rod. That's how a lot of them ended up. It was a fairly common problem for the turbodiesel, especially in Troopers. The combination of heavy vehicle weight, slow turbo boost, and too much foot pressure on the skinny pedal proved to be a perfect storm. Just as the truck was approaching its RPM redline on hard takeoffs, the turbo boost kicked in, causing it to run right past the rev limiter. It was common enough that Isuzu paid to replace a lot of them. They designed stronger rods for the 1987 engines, and even stronger ones for the factory replacement engines that were built AFTER the model was discontinued. I don't know why they'd have switched the transmission.

Jack
hillbillie1
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 DLX 4x4 Diesel. 86 Spacecab LS Turbo Diesel

Post by hillbillie1 »

DDowning97
I have a low mile from a turbo trooper think around 60 thousand.
Kept in my shop and don’t look like I’m going to use it. I’m in SC PM if you’re interested. The turbo engine blew.
83 DLX 4x4 diesel pup
86 turbo space cab Ls pup
Cummins 3500 4X4 6 speed Manual
2011 Limited Ultra HD
mcc
Isuzu vehicle(s): Isuzu Trooper gen.1 2.2 diesel n/a

Post by mcc »

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:49 pm

Gunter,

Yes, but I have no idea what's available in your country. In the US, the Troopers were not offered with n/a diesels, and the turbo didn't come along until 1986. That's the same year that all 4wds (gas/petrol and diesel) were sold ONLY with 5-speed 4wd transmissions. So that transmission was available here from 1986 through 1987. The same transmission was also in our 4ZD1 2.3L gas/petrol Troopers, except the bell housing (front case half) was set up for the starter on the other side. Those transmissions can be used with diesels, if a the bell housing is replaced with one from a diesel transmission (even most 4-speed diesel transmissions work). I think the 5-speed transmission tail section may be a bit longer, so it may require some fabrication for the rear mount and driveshaft length.

Jack
Jack,

appreciate those information. I was searching the board for those topics before, but I thought I might have missed sompfin.

Thank you, regards from Austria, Gunter
Isuzu Trooper gen. 1, C223 diesel n/a, 4 speed