After market Carbs

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
falba70
Isuzu vehicle(s): Previous 89,90,92, now 94 gas mini trucks

After market Carbs

Post by falba70 »

Afternoon everyone,

I have seen the posts about the upgrade to a Weber Carb, but havent seen any about replacing the stock Hitachi for an aftermarket. I have 94 that needs a new Carb and was curious as I have found a few low cost aftermarket reproduction's. Any thoughts?
https://www.xxiindos.com/index.php?main ... _id=564584

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_6796.jpg
puttputtinpup

Re: After market Carbs

Post by puttputtinpup »

For the price, I'd be tempted to get one. Seems it would surely be easier. I've heard good things about the weber conversion though. More power, better economy, better response.
falba70
Isuzu vehicle(s): Previous 89,90,92, now 94 gas mini trucks

Post by falba70 »

So mechanic is saying this won't work because it is missing an electronic mixture valve. Can anyone verify this, he was an Isuzu master mechanic back when we had delaerships....the pics dont look any different than stock one.
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

falba70 wrote:So mechanic is saying this won't work because it is missing an electronic mixture valve. Can anyone verify this, he was an Isuzu master mechanic back when we had delaerships....the pics dont look any different than stock one.

Ask your mechanic if he's ever heard of Jerry Lemond from Isuzu. JLemond still sells factory parts and is a wealth of expert information. He was an engineer and trainer for Isuzu.

Re the carb...if it looks identical and the wires look like they'd hook up, go for it. Review the return policy and you may be able to return it if it doesn't work.
ctbale
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 1.9L pup

Post by ctbale »

Anyone buy this aftermarket carb? Looks like the link is dead. I have an original carb on my 1986 1.9L gasser and got a carb kit off rockauto. Mine is dribbling fuel, not atomizing it at idle. It stumbles and has a ruff idle. Got an EGR valve coming
Red Truck

Post by Red Truck »

I think I remember that link, it was a "new" $40 Hitachi, or something like that. I was amused....Is yours still acting up even after installing the carb kit? A leaky float bowl needle valve/seat are the usual culprits for your symptoms. I don't mean to knock your abilities, but the carb body-manifold gaskets can be easily installed upside down, or the wrong ones (that come with the kit) can be used, thereby blocking off bleed passages. It was a long time ago, but don't ask me how I know this!!! I just looked around at some auto parts websites, and the reman Hitachi's cost about as much as a Weber 32/36. If your throttle shafts aren't wobbling around in the carb body, then a thorough cleaning of your old one might do the trick. LP air and an old guitar string come in quite handy. And yes, a leaky EGR valve will cause those symptoms; I've had to soak mine with WD40 on occasion. I'd remove the darn thing, but need to make a blank-off plate first.....R/
'87 Isuzu p'up 2.3 gas, carb'd, 5spd, 4WD, base model, Fed spec
ctbale

Post by ctbale »

That on my to-do list. I have the kit. I got it off rockauto. Going to do it in the next week I hope. I plan to take a bunch of pictures and make a new thread. I am an Aircraft Mechanic so I like to document my work. Should be fun.

My other thing I need to do is replace/repair my heater core. I posted two threads asking where to find a heater core for a 1986 but they keep getting taken down. Not sure why?
Dieselsmoke69
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 CHEVY LUV MIKADO C223 DIESEL 2wd,1981 Chevy Luv shortbed 2wd G180Z, 1981 Chevy Luv Mikado 4x4 G180Z redline weber 32/36

Post by Dieselsmoke69 »

I will add the weber 32/36 knockoffs are ok in a pinch. However there are some noticible differances in quality. The throttle shaft bosses wear and theres other things internally without elaborating on, that make a genuine redline weber kit that much more appealing. By the time you spend $200 on a fake then another $85 on a weber adapter kit with the linkage and air filter your much better off buying a genuine redline weber kit for $350 ish and be done with it. Its been the medicine of choice for many years. The Hitachi carbs are a big bag of flaming doo doo. Yes they can be rebuilt but many times even that goes south. Im a former military Bradley mechanic myself. Rebuild all of my engines and transmissions but when i pulled the rebuild sheet up on the Hitachi and had read the horror stories on this carb i decided it wasnt worth it. Unless just as sake of an experiment to test ones own skill. I did buy a brand new weber kit along with another genuine used 32/36 that has mechanical secondarys just to play around with. But the Hitachi ...uhgm no way for me. This is my vote
IMG_20210608_143526947.jpg
16234297241901186162317933271548.jpg
ctbale

Post by ctbale »

I am not looking forward to rebuilding this Hitachi carb. I rebuilt the carb on my 1989 mazda b2200 back in 1995. Horrible experience. Is still remember making diagrams for all the vacuum lines.

I might research this weber carb some more.
Dieselsmoke69
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 CHEVY LUV MIKADO C223 DIESEL 2wd,1981 Chevy Luv shortbed 2wd G180Z, 1981 Chevy Luv Mikado 4x4 G180Z redline weber 32/36

Post by Dieselsmoke69 »

Its worth it and really wakes things up. If this is truck is a keeper and for most of us here they are "I have 3 of the beasts now" then go weber. Unless your in a anal retentive emissions state and have to do the "SMOG" thing. I know California wont let you change the carb which is stupid. The weber would probably pass smog before the Hitachi would any day. But i wont live in a state that does that. Its nuts ya know. They literally want all hydrocarbon burning vehicles off the road replaced by electric but doesnt make any sense as it takes more hydrocarbons and energy just to produce the batteries for them let Let alone our power grid that is already completly maxxed out on the brink of collapse that could never handle everybody trying to charge up there cars "rolling blackouts sound familiar". Hmm now where is all this power we dont have to be able to charge all these cars supposed to come from...burning millions of tons of fossil fuels. And we elect these dim witts into office that couldnt even change there own oil or a flat tire if they had too. Its all a power grab for control of us and our money. Maybe bill gates new nutria sodium cooled reactor will fix it all and our children will have to die off dealing with the toxic radioactive waste that we have nowhere to store anymore...Way off topic here im sorry but dang it. Rant over ...drop a weber on that baby and send it lol.
ctbale

Post by ctbale »

Haha, your preaching to the choir on most of the topics you covered!

Yea, I dont like doing things half assed so that weber sounds like the solution. This truck has 87k and its going to be around for a while. I am an aircraft mechanic so I might throw the kit it just because I got it but $350 for a solid fuel delivery system is nothing and now I know its out there I will most likely be putting it on this little truck.