Electric Remote Mirrors?

Whether it's up high or draggin', this is the place to discuss anything related to body and suspension modifications for street or offroad use.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Electric Remote Mirrors?

Post by JoeIsuzu »

crazy4diesel wrote:Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/ECCPP-Driver-Mir ... 575&sr=8-1

These are my absolute favorites, so far. They're available in a heated version, and even with LED turn indicators.

The mounting setup would require some modification, and I'm not certain they'd sit at the right angle -- but I'm going to check at my local 4x4 shops and see if I can get a look at these, or something similar.

Who knows, maybe someone can 3d print a spacer to correct the mounting angle, if it's not quite right.

Jack
crazy4diesel
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Pup Turbo Diesel, DLX, manual, long bed

Post by crazy4diesel »

I thought it might work, given the vertical nature of a Jeep Wrangler door. But, yeah, might need a shim of some kind to it doesn't look like droopy ears. My truck has awful mirrors for trailer towing I guess, they are nearly impossible to adjust, and get knocked out of adjustment very easily.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

crazy4diesel wrote:I thought it might work, given the vertical nature of a Jeep Wrangler door. But, yeah, might need a shim of some kind to it doesn't look like droopy ears. My truck has awful mirrors for trailer towing I guess, they are nearly impossible to adjust, and get knocked out of adjustment very easily.

Actually, I thought the Jeep door is more vertical and flatter. But I hope a local shop has one of these (or similar) in stock, maybe that would help.

And I'm pretty certain I'd have to cut off most of the screw threads to clear the window. It wouldn't be returnable at that point.

But the size and the style look like a perfect fit.

Jack
crazy4diesel

Post by crazy4diesel »

Yeah, the tabs are quite long on those. But, I think you could test fit without cutting anything, and if it's just a no go, send them back to Amazon. It also looks like there are various options for wiring harnesses that include the control switch, and you're good with electrical, so you'd figure out how to tie in the signal lights and defrost functions, defrost might be tricky as there is no rear window defroster on these pickups.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

crazy4diesel wrote:Yeah, the tabs are quite long on those. But, I think you could test fit without cutting anything, and if it's just a no go, send them back to Amazon. It also looks like there are various options for wiring harnesses that include the control switch, and you're good with electrical, so you'd figure out how to tie in the signal lights and defrost functions, defrost might be tricky as there is no rear window defroster on these pickups.

I'm going to my local 4x4 shop today, to look at whatever aftermarket mirrors they have in stock.

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I just got an up-close look at the Jeep mirrors. They're way too big. With that, and the mounting challenges, they're off my list.

Still on the list: certain VW Jetta/Golf/Cabriolet mirrors. I'll be watching eBay. In fact, here's a set, but it's a little pricey considering I don't know if it would work:
VW MK2 85-92 POWER MIRROR ASSEMBLYS OEM GOLF GTI JETTA GLS

Jack
crazy4diesel

Post by crazy4diesel »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143885767738?c ... hVEALw_wcB

This seller has just the right side mirror, much cheaper for you to play around with to see if it works. If you can't find the power left side, VW sold also manual mirrors you can buy after market versions of for around $20, really you only need power on the right side.

JoeIsuzu wrote:I just got an up-close look at the Jeep mirrors. They're way too big. With that, and the mounting challenges, they're off my list.

Still on the list: certain VW Jetta/Golf/Cabriolet mirrors. I'll be watching eBay. In fact, here's a set, but it's a little pricey considering I don't know if it would work:

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

crazy4diesel wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/143885767738?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=143885767738&targetid=1068323852830&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9033250&poi=&campaignid=10455986299&mkgroupid=104612010940&rlsatarget=aud-622524042958:pla-1068323852830&abcId=2146002&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwutaCBhDfARIsAJHWnHuf6y5L7YGQjghcOq3c4EoIA8Oxjncj_GUIx9D56MbyIXy3iFFU_SAaAmhVEALw_wcB

This seller has just the right side mirror, much cheaper for you to play around with to see if it works. If you can't find the power left side, VW sold also manual mirrors you can buy after market versions of for around $20, really you only need power on the right side.

JoeIsuzu wrote:I just got an up-close look at the Jeep mirrors. They're way too big. With that, and the mounting challenges, they're off my list.

Jack

Yes, that one is on my watch list, as well as one for the driver's side. But neither of them include the switch.

Jack
crazy4diesel

Post by crazy4diesel »

I wouldn't worry to much about the switch, I've seen harness and switches available, so long as you can figure out what wire does what.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I ordered this one, just to try the fit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233756811442

It is missing the cover that goes over its base, so it was cheap.

If it fits, I've found a pair of good ones like it -- one in "good" used condition, the other NOS. But they'll be more pricey. ;) And I'll still need to find a control switch.

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Update: Unfortunately, the VW mirror's base is designed for a more level mounting surface, and is a little wide for the spot where my factory mirror was mounted. If I tried to mount it lower, like the later P'ups and pickups, it would be even worse.
9A3C6A3E-51C8-4995-86C2-2943D8593719.jpeg
E669E254-7307-42C9-9C59-3A78EE8792BD.jpeg
CCC6AD73-A6FB-4D4E-BD60-A6B5ADDD8DC3.jpeg
I'd try swapping the mounting base with one from a later P'up/Pickup, but I can't see any way to separate the mirror from its base nondestructively.

My next possible candidate will be the 1992-1996 Ford F-series mirrors.

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

"Perfect is the enemy of good."
So goes the saying, and it's true. The "perfect" mirrors are holding up my paint job. If I could settle for manual mirrors, I'd just use the ones for the '84-and-later Isuzu trucks.

Today I went back to Pull-A-Part to get a closer look at Ford truck mirrors. I'd have brought one home, but wasn't properly equipped. Whoever thought side mirrors should be mounted with Torx screws?!?! :D
If you're seeing this sideways, click it. That should display it correctly. Ford F-150 mirror.
If you're seeing this sideways, click it. That should display it correctly. Ford F-150 mirror.
But I think the angle on this one is off, like the VW mirror.

Now this Ranger may have HAD a mirror that is suitable, although they're really difficult to find in a powered version.
If you're seeing this sideways, click it. That should display it correctly. Ford Ranger mirror base.
If you're seeing this sideways, click it. That should display it correctly. Ford Ranger mirror base.
But I'll do some online searching, since it looks somewhat promising.

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I've hit all three self-service yards in Memphis this weekend, looking at mirrors and how they mount.

The 1994 Toyota mirror mounting angle looks incompatible with the P'up.
1994 Toyota (manual mirror base)
1994 Toyota (manual mirror base)
Same for the 1991 Ford F-150.
1992 Ford F150 (manual mirror)
1992 Ford F150 (manual mirror)
So I'm still looking at earlier Toyota Pickups/4Runners, but because of strong demand among owners of those vehicles, the prices for upgrade goodies is astronomical. There is a set of used power mirrors on ebay priced at over $600.

So I'm also looking at Toyota FJ Cruiser mirrors (aftermarket ones are not that pricey).

I ran across this oldie and just wanted to share pics. It's a 1948 Plymount P15 Special De Luxe.
1948 Plymount P15 Special De Luxe
Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

So now I'm looking at these, from the 1991-1997 Toyota Previa (minivan). I need to find one in a local yard to test the fitment. But there are none around here at the moment.
Previa_mirrors_1.jpg

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

This pic was an attempt to compare the mounting angle required vs. the mounting angle of the Previa mirror. Even though it's not precise, I can tell that this mirror will not be level, mounted below the bend in the fender. But everything else about it seems perfect:
  • Size and shape
  • Availability
  • Availability of mirror control switch
  • Price (aftermarket under $80/pair)
So I think I'm going to try and find one at a local yard, and try to make a base to level it on the door, using Bondo. If that works, then maybe get it scanned and 3-d printed.

Any advice?

Jack