Adding air conditioning

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Adding air conditioning

Post by JoeIsuzu »

KillahKila wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:28 pm
I see rockauto has almost all the ac components I just need all the hardware to mount unless the pieces from rockauto come with it then I just need the bracket and tension pulley
Thank you,
Kila
Yeah, brackets are a good reason to find a used setup. Mine does not have a tension pulley, but mine is an '83 diesel P'up and yours is a later-model truck. The factory setup has a low-pressure cutoff switch somewhere in the refrigerant lines. It might be mounted on the dryer, or might be somewhere else. Staying with a factory setup also helps to ensure you can reach the wiring harness without having to add sections of wire.

You may also need an evaporator housing. If your truck didn't come with a/c, it probably has an "A/C delete duct" where the evaporator housing would go.

Jack
KillahKila
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 Isuzu pickup 2.3L

Post by KillahKila »

I’m think it came with ac cause the dash controls were In the truck already and I don’t know if the wire harness has the plugs for the system
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

KillahKila wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:07 pm
I’m think it came with ac cause the dash controls were In the truck already and I don’t know if the wire harness has the plugs for the system
I think they all do, but if this one came with A/C, it definitely had the wiring for it.

Jack
KillahKila

Post by KillahKila »

I’ll look into the low pressure switch, I’m talking to Ron (lowzone) for the hardware and brackets, I’ll probably grab the components new just so it will last, and I’ll have to find a place to fabricate the lines, if I can’t find em
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

KillahKila wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:42 pm
I’ll look into the low pressure switch, I’m talking to Ron (lowzone) for the hardware and brackets, I’ll probably grab the components new just so it will last, and I’ll have to find a place to fabricate the lines, if I can’t find em
Ron will steer you right. He may have all the parts you need, too.

On factory systems, some of the lines are "hard" (aluminum). Particularly, the one that goes around the cowl, and the one that goes through the core support. Maybe one more, too. You won't find those hard lines on any "universal" components. I'd suggest getting all the factory hard lines you can, and have the soft lines fabricated if you're not comfortable with used ones.

Jack
KillahKila

Post by KillahKila »

Alright I’ll keep searching for those lines
Thank you
Kila
KillahKila

Post by KillahKila »

Does anyone have ac in their pickup so I can see what it looks like? Where everything mounts and hooks up
Thank you,
Kila
Dieselsmoke69
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 CHEVY LUV MIKADO C223 DIESEL 2wd,1981 Chevy Luv shortbed 2wd G180Z, 1981 Chevy Luv Mikado 4x4 G180Z redline weber 32/36

Post by Dieselsmoke69 »

Heres a generic diagram which i found useful. Im doing this as we speak to my 1982 luv MIKADO diesel. A little different from what you are installing but same concept. The original system used an obsolete compressor on mine, along with flare fittings on everything which are a bygone and prone to leaks. I went with a sanden sd508 compressor which there is a universal adapter bracket for that can be welded or modified to work with some skill. In your case i would find a donor vehicle with the brackets and needed hardware.I got lucky and had a spare engine with a aluminum compressor bracket that was made for this well known compressor. However i would replace the compressor dryer and expansion valve if your system was so equipped with whatever your vehicle was installed with factory and go with new lines as well. A universal line kit is available on flea bay . You have to mock everything up and take your lines marked with how you need them aligned to an auto supply store to have them crimped. Easiest in your case is to order new lines compressor dryer and tvx valve or orfice tube if so equipped specific made for your vehicle new.You can perform a flush on your evap and condensor at home. I use acetone and compressed air for my flush. You can buy a cheap $90 vacumn pump and set of gauges at harbor freight. However if your not familiar with a/c systems in general and the pressure charts i would take it to the pros to be vacumned down and charged up at a minimum. A new compressor should already have an oil charge. But its good measure to check how much is in it beforehand as it is depent on the size of your system. Heres a generic system diagram
Screenshot_20210607-012158.png
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I've heard, but can't confirm that the Sanden 508 compressor fits the factory '84+ mounting bracket.

And I agree completely about the flare fittings. Isuzu changed to all o-rings in 1984.

Jack
KillahKila

Post by KillahKila »

The condenser is the same on the 2.3 and 2.6? Plenty of em say 2.6 but doesn’t say if fit 2.3
Dieselsmoke69
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 CHEVY LUV MIKADO C223 DIESEL 2wd,1981 Chevy Luv shortbed 2wd G180Z, 1981 Chevy Luv Mikado 4x4 G180Z redline weber 32/36

Post by Dieselsmoke69 »

Im not sure on that one...however I used a modern universal cross flow condensor i found on eBay. I measured my old inefficient r12 condenser and ordered one of about the same size. I will say it was a tizzy spending all day in the hot sun fitting the aftermarket condenser just right. I spent almost $40 bucks on hardware. I made studs out of 4 long bolts and used mechanics wire to temporarily hold it in place while i drilled my first couple of holes. I had to make sure it cleared my hood latch prong and that my lines would go where i wanted them too and i didnt drill thru anything important such as my radiator or battery lol. I didnt have the leisure of using the factory condenser...one because the failure of most r12 conversions to cool properly is the inefficient tube condensor is not efficient enough to get the heat out of the system when running r134. Hence the reason i switched it out ...that and it had the old leaky flare fittings. The only thing stock on my system are the controls and the evaporator in the cabin which im pulling out to replace the expansion valve and to flush out the evap core real good. Which brings me to the issue that the old evap has 2 flare fittings as well on the firewall which im just using adapters on. I was going to braze new o ring fittings on my original evap but im not sure its even going to hold yet and if it doesnt then i believe i can use a brand new evaporator for a 90s trooper that already has the correct o ring fittings and is a drop in replacement from what ive gathered so far. Anyway, i realize we are talking about totally different vehicles here and im not trying to hijack your thread. I try to be helpful where i can and tend to talk to much at times. These guys and this forum have helped me like no other place on earth. Someone may chime in about whether those condensors are the same as im not sure. There is a nationwide parts locator called car-parts.com. Use the dash in between words as there is another site that uses the same name. You can literally do a nationwide search of the yards and find used parts specific to your vehicle and its one of my best kept isuzu secrets. That and JLEMOND.... if he is up to it try to send him a p.m. He is a encyclopedia of wealth and knowledge on everything Isuzu and a former factory tech trainer. If anybody would know i would say he would be the guy. And he has an en-mass of of brand new NOS isuzu parts. I guess its all in how determined you are to get it done. I had a cage fan blowing on me the whole time while i was working outside today. Its only gonna get hotter and we gotta have a/c. Heres what i did with mounting my universal condensor and a shot of my new compressor. Keep us posted and good luck finding your parts.
IMG_20210609_185111723.jpg
IMG_20210609_185058191.jpg
Last edited by Dieselsmoke69 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dieselsmoke69

Post by Dieselsmoke69 »

16233043770771472463144841199452.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20210609_185132546.jpg
IMG_20210609_193053344.jpg
KillahKila

Post by KillahKila »

Yeah I found all the parts on rockauto and got a bracket, tensioner and hardware from Ron, and getting some of the lines from another parts truck. Some of the lines are good and some gotta find or buy new. Just need the pressure switch, condenser and the in pipe (the long metal pipe).
Dieselsmoke69

Post by Dieselsmoke69 »

The pressure switch on my unit is actually located inside the evaporator. I didnt think it had one until i saw an evaporator in another post opened up. Not sure about yours but on mine it was actually inside the unit
Dieselsmoke69

Post by Dieselsmoke69 »

And i stand corrected on the pressure switch. It appears to be a freeze cut-off thermal type switch in the event the evaporator freezes. Apparently there is not a low cutoff switch on my LUV.